The Bunch family

The Bunch family

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Creativity, Video Games, and MOOCs


#cmc11

David Gauntlett’s Making is Connecting video informed us that our culture places a heavy emphasis on television and the time spent on it on a daily basis (Gauntlett, 2010).  I also agree with his point about the majority of video games being very linear; however there are a few exceptions such as Minecraft, the SimCity series, RollerCoaster Tycoon, and the Sims series.  These games may not be as action-packed as other popular titles but they allow for the user to create their own world while still experiencing unpredictable events.  Another similar example is Second Life One, which is not really considered a game, but is a virtual world that works on the same principles of being powered by multiple users’ creativity to make the world allowing individuals to express their own unique creativity by building a custom avatar, home, and store.  There was also an interesting game study showing that there is no right way to play the game and that many people made their world or their sims a version of what they were or actually experienced in real life (Griebel, 2006).  One of the wonderful things that I have learned about MOOCs is that there a lot creative elements throughout the entire experience.  This particular MOOC demonstrated how we can connect across the world in many different ways through social media, blogs, YouTube, e-mail, and video chats.  Blogging, linking, and using Web 2.0 tools are all methods of expressing an individual’s creativity while having the ability to increase their connectivism (Gauntlett, n.d.).

References:
Gauntlett, David (2010).  David Gauntlett: Making is Connecting, January 2010.  Referenced from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF4OBfVQmCI&feature=youtu.be
Griebel, Thaddeus (2006).  Self-Portrayal in a Simulated Life: Projecting Personality and Values in The Sims 2.  Referenced from http://gamestudies.org/0601/articles/griebel
Gauntlett, David (n.d.).  Making is Connecting.  Referenced from http://makingisconnecting.com/


2 comments:

  1. I may venture into exploring the world of Minecraft with my grandchildren - who at 6 & 4 love to create in Minecraft with their Dad (but with the scary things turned off). I generally have a dislike of video games - my excuse is that I have to spend enough time working on a computer that I prefer relaxing with a book. But for the sake of my Grandkids I'll set aside my prejudice. I'm looking forward to what they may teach me about creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim, thanks for the feedback. I would recommend checking out The Sims. It allows for creation of a unique individual including personality traits, likes, and dislikes along with customizing the way that they look. For some ideas of what is possible in Minecraft check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAaYGY1MfIw , I liked Creolucis the best.

    ReplyDelete